- Category: MoCA Minutes
- Published: Friday, 06 May 2011 10:09
- Written by Kate Gill de la Garza
- Hits: 1624
In attendance: 4 Exec Board members, 15 neighborhood residents speakers, representatives from the West Seattle Blog, King County Wastewater Treatment Division and Seattle Parks Department.
Deb Barker, President opened the meeting by passing out the agenda and welcoming everyone.
- Kate announced that the Myrtle Reservoir Park opening would be held on Saturday morning April 30th. There will be great music and speakers.
- Cindi announced that we have sponsored a HiYU Princess from Morgan this year. HiYU is still seeking a volunteer coordinator, so more info will come soon. We have not yet identified any candidates for Hi YU.
- Cindi announced that our MoCA brochure has been updated for distribution. It has a list of our current work plan on it and will be placed around the neighborhood soon, as well as handed out at events we attend.
Solstice Park Pathway Project, Suzanne Rockwell, Seattle Parks
Suzanne described where Solstice Park is. She then announced that the Solstice Pathway along 44th Ave SW is nearing completion! The path will be above the park on 44th Ave SW (btw SW Webster and SW Fontanelle) and will be made of gravel, not concrete, much like the paths already in the park below. The path should be complete by the following week. There will also be "grubbing" completed 6 feet beyond the path to remove the invasive bushes. In the park there is also some removal of invasive species happening as well as the removal of a large tree. She believes there may be extra money left over (3-4k) and wanted to know the group's thoughts on what to spend it on. People's questions/suggestions:
- Extra P-Patches? Parks doesn't manage these, Dept of Neighborhoods does. Probably not feasible as it is expensive to add planter boxes and generally Parks does not like to tell them what to do.
- Fix north side drainage at park? Suzanne said this was already in the works and they are adding trees here to help with this.
- Drinking fountain? Too expensive.
- Better signage? The original intent of the park was to be as rural as possible. Not in line with this. (Chas also added that a signage kiosk coming to Lincoln near tennis courts/76 gas station and will point to Solstice.)
Suzanne suggested the following:
- More invasive species removal.
- Extra graveling of paths
- Save money for future graveling
An attendee said he had a group of people to help with activities there. Suzanne said she will get back to this volunteer group as well as MoCA when she knows how much money she has left to make a decision on how to spend it. This was ok with the group.
Parks and Green Space Levy, Cindi Barker
Morgan has an allocation in the last Parks Levy for land acquisition for a new park (not development money). Parks has been looking for a piece of land big enough to buy and the best one appears to be off of Juneau (one block east of California) behind a large church building. Parks has contacted the church and they are open to selling the land to the City. Cindi wanted to know what people think of this idea. There were no complaints against it. She also mentioned that the church runs a men's shelter and so far so good with this. Could be a loitering issue if park there eventually. This site it is nice because it is not on busy street like California. Another idea has been expanding the current Morgan Junction Park northward. Cindi asked for a vote. 5 in favor of urban expansion, 5 in favor or of more residential park (like the church land). She asked for emails of any other suggestions and she will convey to Parks.
King County CSO Project, Martha Tuttle, Erica Jacobs and Doug Marsano, KCWTD
Martha will retire May 1st. Doug will be replacing her. They were here tonight to introduce us to him and to announce that SEPA comment period will be open soon. Be on the lookout for this. All households within 1000 feet of the Lowman project will get a postcard announcing his but you can also access it online here and call or write to them with comments. They once again announced the timeline and are continuing to work with property owners that will be displaced. They are selecting design team now through bid process (which has closed).
- What is the design? Has not been designed yet but will be storage tanks underground across from the Lowman Beach Park. The houses there now will be removed. The tanks will not go in the ground on Beach Drive. There will also be work done to upgrade the system currently in the park.
- Landscape design? This will be done during 60 and 90% design and there will be opportunities to weigh in. Most likely in a design charette.
- Will neighborhood help design above ground structure? Yes, lots of community involvement in this part.
- Update on Westwood Heights project? Up in this area of the basin they will implement "green infrastructure" bio-swales and such to filter water into ground.
- Will this neighboring project cause tank at Lowman to be smaller? Unfortunately no.
- SEPA timing? Late April.
A big thanks was given to Martha for coming out often and much to the group. She donated the map that Deb has in her garage for future events such as the festival.
Zipcars, Kate Gll de la Garza
Kate is disappointed that there is no longer a Zipcar station at Morgan. (There once was a Flexcar at Thriftway). She called Zipcar and they said that we don't have enough density (users) to warrant a station, so they are focusing on Alaska Junction, where most of the growth is. We can write a letter to request one, however, so we can have it on file there. Kate asked if people were interested in this, since it is concurrent with our neighborhood plan to have more transit options. The group agreed to do an online poll via Facebook and perhaps the WSB and WS Herald to gauge interest.
Traffic Circle Request, 38th and SW Graham, Patrick Dunn
Patrick Dunn spoke on behalf of his neighborhood as they are trying to get a traffic circle funded on their block, which is very dangerous due to cut-through traffic. As a major pedestrian and bike corridor, they are concerned for safety here. They need a letter of support in order to move up through the District Council in order to get SDOT funding for the circle. SW Graham is repeatedly mentioned in the neighborhood plan as needing improvements. Tamsen spoke up that she lives on this block and agrees that this is needed! She would like to work with Patrick on this. Cindi moved to support the letter, Chas second. Unanimous vote in support. Deb agreed to e-mail letter immediately to meet the quick timeline for District Council presentation.
King County InMotion Workshop, Cindi Barker
Cindi reported on going to this workshop put on by KC and facilitated by Feet First, a nonprofit group. KC is partnering with local communities to create more alternatives to auto transportation. She pointed out that everyone there said they get all their neighborhood news from the WSB - we need to use them more for PR! Cindi said most people there were already using alternative modes of transport and would continue to do so with incentives offered. She was not sure how the findings of the workshop would be used. Chas reported that in Ballard they were giving away free bus tickits. Tamsen mentioned she went to Gatewood workshop and everyone mentioned Cindi as the neighborhood person from MoCA! Eldon volunteered to attend an upcoming Citizens Transportation Advisory Committee meeting at the City Municipal Tower.
Police Department Update, Eldon Olson
Eldon meets with the SW Precinct Advisory Committee meets every 3 months, or as needed. He reported that a large burglary group in WS has been captured. As a result, burglaries are down 20%! Car thefts also down 20%. Please watch for strangers, usually in groups of 2 or 3 "casing" neighborhoods. Call SPD right away when you see this. Block watch programs needed, please contact the East Precinct to set one up. He also mentioned several neighbors have expressed concern about traffic and speed issues on California Ave near the Little Gym facility. They are looking into adding some signage like "Small children present" to slow drivers down. If you are concerned, please consider writing a letter too. Hopefully the new pedestrian improvements right up the hill will help (new curbs and flashing sign above crosswalk). Someone asked if we could get the flags for this crosswalk at Othello. Yes, just call SDOT, Barbara Gray, 684-ROAD. Deb reported that the work on California is nearly all done. The bump out and lights at Othello look great.
Transportation projects update, Deb Barker
Deb reported that the new pedestrian safety improvements on California are nearly
complete. The bump out and flashing lights at Othello look great!
Deb also reported that the traffic calming project on 48th Ave SW is ongoing, but that SDOT cannot install bike lanes as hoped due to poor pavement condition. However, they will install "speed cushions" like on Beach Drive. There will be a neighborhood meeting on May 19th at the Seaview Methodist Church to discuss. Likely starts at 6:30pm.
Morgan Junction Festival, Eldon Olson and Deb Barker
Board members discussed the planned activities for the June 25, 2011 festival.
Kids Activities: Chalk Art contests, Bubble Man, Little Gym activities, face painting
Music all day on the main stage as well as in Morgan Junction Park. Hours are from 10:30-7pm. List finalizing right now. Bite of Morgan again all around Junction with Kokoras and Zeeks signed on again. Vendor booths behind Zeeks - 20 confirmed already
Becky is new volunteer coordinator and we need volunteers for set-up and take down as well as some all day spots. Eldon is sending out sponsor letters to 47 businesses! Someone mentioned that we should table at the Alki Street closure day on May 22nd.
Emergency Preparedness Day, Cindi Barker
Cindi mentioned that a drill is coming up with the Office of Emergency Management. Need volunteers for this. This one is to test gathering at the HUBS, a little more high level. May 7th. Tamsen can help as well as Chas. 6-7 people total needed. The hubs for this drill will be at the Fairmount Hub at Providence/Mt St Vincent, and at the newest hub for North Delridge, at the Delridge P-Patch . Also mentioned was a Morgan specific mapping project that needs to be undertaken to determine suitable buildings for emergency use when disaster strikes. This info also can be shared with the Red Cross so that they can easily set-up. People needed to "ground-truth" map. Product will be a book of locations for emergency use. Morgan's HUB is the Thriftway parking lot.
By-Laws Update, Kate Gill de la Garza
Our by-laws need cleaning up. Not "mission statement" work - just small clean-ups. Kate asked for volunteers. Deb and Chas volunteered for committee. Anyone else interested should e-mail Kate.
Eldon explained the terms and who was up for election - Deb for president and Chas for vice president. He asked if there were any other nominations - none were taken. Tamsen motions to pass both positions together by unanimous ballot, Kate seconds. Deb and Chas are reelected unanimously.
Tamsen then passed out flyers for Cambodian New Year celebration in White Center.
Dates to remember
June 25th - Festival in Morgan Junction
July 20th - Next MoCA meeting date
Respectfully submitted by Kate Gill de la Garza, Secretary.